Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Story Time! Leila in Saffron

Assalamualaikum!  
Today's story is realistic fiction about a little girl who is a good cook, but needs to learn to love herself as much as her family loves her.   
Such sumptuous illustrations!  



I hope that when you look in a mirror, 
you see all the wonderful things that I see when I look at you.


Saffron is a very special and expensive spice, fragrant and delicate.  If you are ever lucky enough to happen to come across some, here's an easy recipe for saffron rice.  This particular recipe is actually from the Jewish tradition. You could also try this East Asian saffron chicken curry recipe, which uses lots of wonderful spices. Just like the cilantro mentioned in the story, saffron is used in countries and cuisines all over the world!  (I know some of my friends are fasting this week, but the recipes will be waiting for you after Ramadan.)

If you are interested in the Arabic language used in the books on Laila's shelves, check this out:
Mahmoud Tamman has turned Arabic lettering into the animals they spell.  How beautiful!


Ramadan Mubarak to those who celebrate!  
Let us always celebrate and embrace all cultures and people through books!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Ms.Esme for thee wonderful book. I loved how I got to learn about different and similar cultures and languages. I also learned about a new spice, Saffron. I used to go to a Persian ice cream store that makes saffron rolls. I agree that everyone is unique and should appreciate themselves. Amal 201

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the arabic art and I was able to read the words for cat, dog, duck, whale, and fox. I loved the artistic way he did them!It was very cool! Amal 201

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the Arabic Letter art. I tried to guess each one. Some were really hard. I think it would be hard to do this in English.
    Anton Y 207

    ReplyDelete