Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Talk Like a Pirate Day!


Aaaargh!  In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day,  The mateys be enjoyin' book larnin', with fun fiction like Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate by Kim Kennedy, Pirates Go To School by Corrine Demas, Pirate vs. Pirate by Mary Quattlebaum, Do Pirates Take Baths? by Kathy Tucker, and my favorite, The Skeleton Pirate by David Lucas (though many of the kids thought the ending was too mushy, but they liked the whale, so all was not lost). In honor of the popular pet of the high seas, we also met a very sweet parrot puppet who ate a lot of crackers, and we made our own pirate face puppets so we could keep practicing the swashbuckling vernacular ("shiver me timbers," "ahoy," "avast," etc.).   Thanks to fellow educator Ms. Star for getting me in the mood for this storytime...I actually don't much care for pirates, I think they probably weren't very nice people in real life (which I point out to older kids, when we study ballads and encounter Captain Kidd).  But I like treasure, and the library is full of that...I'm sure any pirate would find plenty to dig here!

No comments:

Post a Comment